Here are the activities that each group will be working on today:
(If you are new to CoderDojo and have little or no previous experience coding you can start in the Newcomer’s group. Talk to a leader if you are not sure what group you should be in.)
If you are new to CoderDojo and new to computer programming this is where you start:
In this week’s activity you will program an animation story using functions and parameters.
Make a Guess The Flag Quiz
After you have completed the basic project customise and improve it by:
- Add scoring – you decide how scoring should work
- Add more flags
- Add a condition to end the game – you can decide how long game goes on for (it could be a fixed number of questions, keep going until all flags guessed correctly, etc.)
- Add logic so that flags guessed correctly are not asked again but flags guessed wrong are asked again
- Add a Settings feature to change some parameters of the game (e.g. number of flags shown, number of questions asked, etc. – it’s up to you to decide what settings would be useful)
- Add sound effects
- Come up with your own ideas for enhancements
Already have some experience with HTML and CSS?
If you already have some experience with HTML and CSS, let’s start by reviewing CSS with this course on Codecademy (create an account if you don’t already have one):
A Closer Look at CSS
Starting for the first time?
If you are new to web development lets start with this introductory course on Khan Academy (create an account if you don’t already have one):
Course overview and get started
This session is run by Nathalie. An introduction to robotics using mBot robot kits and a block programming language called mBlock which is similar to Scratch.
A collaborative group exploring how computers can interact with the outside world through a range of sensors and controllers. Primarily we’ll be using the Raspberry Pi (http://raspberrypi.org) computer in conjunction with Arduinos (http://arduino.cc) and along the way we’ll learn about Python, C and C++ programming, digital and analogue electronics and about working together.